IV Conference on arts, literature and urban gothic culture
The fourth edition of the conference will be held over three days from October 1 to October 3 in the Philology Faculty of the Complutense University. The conference is organized by the cultural associations Besarilia and Mentenebre, the Philology Faculty of the Complutense University and the Philosophy department of the Autonoma University.
The conference is multidisciplinary since it encompasses all the academic subjects of urban gothic culture in the frame of cultural studies. Historians, philosophers, philologists, musicians, antropologists, psycologists and sociologists among others participate as lecturers in this conference.
Call for papers
The talks will last 45 and 20 minutes. Suggested topics:
- The reception of the Gothic literature in the Victorian period.
- Romantic poetry in the Victorian period.
- Walter Pater and Oscar Wilde´s works.
- The pre-Raphaelite brotherhood.
- The Symbolist turn in Victorian painting: Rossetti, Burne-Jones, Solomon and Watts.
- Aubrey Beardsley´s works.
- Pictorialist photography: Julia Margaret Cameron and Lewis Carroll.
- J.W. Waterhouse´s works and other late pre-Raphaelites.
- Poe´s reception in Victorian England.
- Arthur Rackham and Harry Clarke.
- The Golden Dawn and other secret societies in the Victorian England.
- Freemasonry and occultism in Victorian England.
- Celtic influences in Victorian art and literature.
- The taste for Victorian style in Gothic fashion.
- Gothic rock and Victorian ideals.
- Pre-Raphaelite aesthetics in gothic music.
- Gothic Lolita: The reinvention of Victorian fashion.
- Steampunk and retrofuturism: literature, art and fashion.
- Videogames inspired in Victorian London.
- Films and TV Series inspired by Victorian era.
Deadline for proposals
Please send your proposals before July 31st to email@example.com with the following information:
- Name, email and telephone number.
- Title of your talk. Please specify if it is a 45 or a 20 minute talk.
- 200 to 300 words abstract.
- University and degree.
The list of accepted proposals will be published in this website and the authors will be notified by email before September the 1st.
- 45 minute speakers: 35 euros.
- 20 minute speakers: 30 euros.
- UAM and UCM students and teachers: 25 euros.
- Students and teachers from other universities: 30 euros.
- Individuals: 35 euros.
- One hour sessions: 5 euros.
- One day: 20 euros.
- Half day: 10 euros.
Payment should be made before September 15 to the Asociación Cultural Besarilia ING Direct bank account
IBAN ES47 1465 0100 95 1900116565 – Code SWIFT/BIC CODE: INGDESMM
The proof of payment must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org including the following information:
- Telephone number.
If you want to attend a one hour session, you will have to pay one day before the conference and send the proof of payment to email@example.com.